Light of Knowledge

Light of Knowledge
Lets Spread the Light of Wisdom

29 November 2012

Week9: Let's Make a Difference!


Hello friends,
This week has brought us almost close to submission segment of our project work.
I will not call it the end but a fresh new start because my previously handled techniques are definitely going to be enriched by the precious knowledge i received during this course. Last two weeks i remained engaged working on the project plan and submitted it today.
What i learnt out of project plan is not limited to this course. A good planning may take sometime but it helps us reaching the desired results. Sometimes we end up giving more tries saying, 'it wont make much difference.' but actually its all these small differences that makes a big difference in the end.

In last discussions I observed that many English teachers have expressed the limitations of proper hardware availability. Most of us have one or the other issue related to hardware, be it one computer, no computer lab, no internet, large class, lack of internet connection, and many.

I would like to share an experience here. The management at our campus decided to develop a customized interactive application 'Zoomi' and make it available on windows, mac, java, and android platforms. We suggested the students to use it last year but it did not work the way it was expected due to varied hardwares. Hence recently, we provided android (4.0.3. ICS) based tablets to all students with 'zoomi' application preinstalled.

On 'zoomi' the registered students can interact with faculty members on messenger, send them mails, can download notes and reference material, view notices, notifications, and results. They can also view the list of recommended educative android based applications and download them. Just to name a few there are dictionaries, pronunciation dictionaries, tongue twisters, language learning games, puzzles, quizzes, Oxford audio podcasts and much more.

I have been a part of the think-tank in our campus and we have witnessed a change among the students. They are more confident, happier, and have started learning on their own. Due to large classrooms and inadequate time, they could not previously take part in to discussions at al.

Secondly, with the help of my learning from this course,  I started an online class on facebook network. It is a very small group of 12 students as it is a pilot plan now. They are also the part of nicenet class now. I aim at working on limitations during this pilot plan. Once it is done, I wish to apply it to 'Zoomi' also where all 5000 students will be the part.

Learning through technology definitely brings more freedom, confidence, and customized preferences for the students. I look forward to one step ahead of starting an international class by all of us introducing atleast two students from our sides. That i think will be the real online teaching experience. What do you say?
Regards,
Tushar

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tushar,

    Of course the end of the course will be a new beginning for more ideas, and more successful classroom practices.
    You've excellent emotional intelligence skills. That's why you are a leader in your place.
    Technology will be always there to facilitate learning.

    Good luck with all your projects!

    Safaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tushar,

    First of all, let me congratulate to your wisely built up and written project work. Though we work on the different sphares of the education I share your thoughts. Approaching to the end of this course it creates a kind of craving in me. I will miss the weekly challenges, the new and inspiring ideas, my brilliant and inspiring course mates. I can just hope that our connection won't cease. I really would like to keep a contact with such a kind of brilliant mind like you. I noticed that from the beginning that you have had many experiencies in online education. I just run after you.
    I also agree with you that the end of this course will be the beginning of a new era. And I also agree that we can evaluate every small success, because they build up a bigger one.
    I read your experiencies about "zoomi" with great curiosity. To tell you the truth I hardly know what you are speaking about.
    Last, but not least, I mostly share your great idea to build up an international project later. This is what I wrote about in my blog gently. I truly can imagine an international project among our students. This is what I work on it at the moment to transfer the Rights of Child project to an international surface.

    Hope to remain your friend in the future,
    Csilla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tushar,

    I have read your project and I would like to congratulate you on the excellent work.

    A great idea of yours to have one step ahead of starting an international class by all of us introducing at least two students. As Safaa said you own excellent emotional skills and therefore are the leader in your community.
    So far I have had Facebook group to invite students to post a letter about their learning, their accomplishments, challenges and interests. These open discussions mean a lot to students as they see that we care but at the same time writing in public makes students be more objective about their concerns and demands.
    My experience is when we have oral discussions in the classroom students to exaggerate a bit and a far more objective when writing and posting in public.

    Nice to be in the same class with you!

    Best regards,

    Amela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Tushar))) I want to congratulate you with your interesting project. I'm sure that your ideas will come true. I've never heard about "zoomi" - but now I'm exploring the information about it. Thanks a lot and good luck!!!)))
    Tatsiana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Tushar,
    You are right that the course pushed us to think ahead and to inquiry our ability. as above other our colleagues mentioned you are the one creative teacher in your content. You are doing excellent jobs. Thank ou for the " Zoom" new idea. I will inquiry also about it.

    Gulnara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Tushar,
    Thank you for sharing with us your experiences. Congratulation on being the think-tank in the project of your campus. It must be satisfying to you to see the blessing outcome of your efforts to provide students a proper tool for a better learning environment serving their educational needs.

    As for your great initiation to set up a real international online teaching environment, it is a great idea and you definitely have got the massive technology knowledge and background to
    be the think-tank of it as well.
    Although I work in a lower dimension of education, it is awesome for me to know you with all your commitment to teaching which we all in this course share.
    Thanks a lot!
    Best,
    Ildiko

    ReplyDelete